To clean your Papasan cushion, scrub it with a towel using a soapy water mixture. Using a sponge and water, rinse any soap off it. Keep repeating this process until the cushion has no stains. Lastly, air-dry it under the sun.
Papasans are chairs with an oval shape that feel like you are sitting in a cozy baseball glove. They have a no-frills style design but feel comfortable and deliver excellent support for your spine.
The only criticism these cushions receive from customers is that they are challenging to clean. Unlike smaller cushions that fit a washing machine, Papasans are too big, so they must be hand-washed.
One alternative is to pay a laundry shop specializing in washing furniture to clean it for you, but it’s not cheap.
We realize that is not a viable option for everyone if money is tight, so this guide will teach you how to clean a Papasan cushion yourself.
All you will need are some common household materials, and you will be ready to clean your cushion so you can get back to relaxing in it.
Tips on Keeping Your Papasan Cushion Clean
There are different types of Papasan cushions, so you must do your research to pick the best one for your situation.
Anyone with children at home or a pet like a dog will have the most difficulty keeping their cushion clean. However, you can still do your best to prevent certain situations, like buying a water-resistant one.
Wiping these down is less of a chore, and they are not as easy to taint with urine or oils.
The tips below will teach you how to ensure your Papasan is well maintained and stays in the best condition possible.
Buy A Cushion Cover
Purchasing a cushion cover is a significant first step to extending the life of your Papasan cushion.
We recommend you buy it with your cushion because it may already be too late if it gets a severe stain without a cover.
Covers are great because they are easy to clean in a washing machine. All you need to do is set up your washing machine on a cold soft cycle and make sure you use a dye-free laundry detergent.
One other feature we love about cushion covers is that they come in various designs, so you can try new ones when you get bored. It lets you be creative and allows you to give your home a unique style every few months or every time a new holiday arrives.
Use A Vacuum Cleaner
Vacuuming your Papasan cushion every day is the key to keeping it clean.
You can treat it like any other furniture in your home that amasses large amounts of dust and grime.
Buy a customized attachment for your vacuum meant for deep cleaning cushions and sofas. It has a brush at the end that scrubs dirt while sucking up any filth that threatens the lifespan of your furniture.
Get Rid of Any Stains
As soon as you identify a stain, it is critical that you tackle it and don’t attempt to remove it at a later point in time. The longer you put it off, the more likely the stain will settle into your cushion.
Stay away from any brand of bleach because it will cause discoloration.
Steps to Cleaning A Papasan Cushion
Observe the steps below to learn how to clean a Papasan cushion properly.
What You’ll Need
- Hot Water
- Furniture Shampoo
- Soft Bristle Brush or a gentle towel
- Foam Sponge
- Bucket or Bowl
- Ask someone to help you. The more water you use to clean your cushion, the heavier it will feel when carried around the house.
- Combine your hot water with a fair amount of upholstery soap. As a rule of thumb, the combination should be a 20:1 water to the soap mixture. Use an 8:1 concentration if the stain is harder to clean.
- Before adding water, use a towel or a brush to remove dirt or grime. Whether you use a brush or a towel depends on the fabric you are working with. Most people stick with a towel.
- To handle streaks, wet your towel in the soapy water mixture and rub it in a circular movement on the spot you want to clean. Repeat this step until the stain disappears.
- Drain the soapy water mixture and replace it with fresh warm water. Dip your foam sponge in it, and slowly the soap remnants will no longer appear.
- Place your wet cushion outside under the sun and wait for it to air dry on its own.
Alternative Method to Cleaning Your Cushion
If the initial method does not work for you or you prefer something different, here is another one you can try.
What You’ll Need
- Warm Water
- Furniture shampoo
- Durable Bristle brush
- Washing Machine (If large enough)
- Fill your bathtub with water that is warm but not steaming hot.
- Once the tub is filled to the top with water, pour furniture shampoo in it and stir with your hands for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Grab a sturdy bristle brush and start scrubbing every area on the cushion with a stain.
- Take the cushion out and step on it using all your weight until all the extra water is out.
- For this last step, you have 2 options. You can either leave the cushion outside under the sun until it is thoroughly dried or throw it in a dryer if it can fit the entire cushion. Both strategies will produce the same result.
FAQs on How to Clean A Papasan Cushion
Where do you put a Papasan chair?
Papasan chairs are best for the outdoors and look great on a wooden deck in your backyard. They are very relaxing in the evenings when you want to sit outside and gaze at the stars.
Do Papasan chairs hurt your back?
Yes, sitting on it for long periods may hurt your spine since it does not have lumbar support.
What are Papasan cushions filled with?
Most Papasan cushions are stuffed with cotton and high-quality polyester, making them very soft.