To enhance the gloss level of your rubber floor mat, start by brushing off surface dirt from your vacuum cleaner. Wash your mat thoroughly using a cleaning solution, rinse, and leave for a few minutes to air dry. Once your mat is clean and dry, apply a treatment product to restore its shine.
- Step-by-Step Guide To Restore Dull Rubber Floor Mats
- Step 1: Get rid of Large Surface Dirt
- Step 2: Pressure Rinse The Mat
- Step 3: Wash With Cleaning Solutions
- Step 4: Rinse And Dry Thoroughly
- Step 5: Restore And Protect
- FAQs On How To Make Rubber Floor Mats Shine
- Why do Rubber Floor Mats Fade?
- How Often Should I Clean My Rubber Floor Mat?
Step-by-Step Guide To Restore Dull Rubber Floor Mats
Rubber floor mats are great interior pieces for cars, commercial entryways, restaurants, and fitness centers. They provide traction and keep the floor clean.
However, due to constant footwear stress, dust, stains, and grime, most rubber floor mats tend to fade over time and would require some effort to get them to shine again.
In this article, I’ll share with you the secret to making your rubber floor mats shine without spending much on expensive cleaning products.
Before we get started, here are some materials you will need;
- Vacuum cleaner
- Soft brush
- High-pressure water hose
- Warm Water
- Detailing brush
- Microfiber cloth
- Preferred cleaning solutions ( Detergents, vinegar, multipurpose or industrial cleaners)
Step 1: Get rid of Large Surface Dirt
- Remove your rubber mats from their position and place them on an open, hard, clean surface.
- Shake your mats or slam them gently against a hard surface to allow loose particles to fall off.
- Use a soft bristle brush to remove any loose dirt on the mats’ surface
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up stubborn dirt, sand, and small rocks from your mats.
Before washing down, you should remove large surface dirt because they get more difficult to remove when the rubber floor mats are wet.
Step 2: Pressure Rinse The Mat
- Once you’ve removed all of the surface dirt, simply hose down the dirt and grime from the mat’s surface.
- If you don’t have a hose, keep the mats under high-pressure running water.
A pressure washer has enough power to get rid of any stubborn grime left on the surface. If you’re worried about water damage, you should know that rubber floor mats are made of natural latex rubber and are water-resistant.
Step 3: Wash With Cleaning Solutions
It’s not difficult to remove dirt from rubber floor mats, but making them shine requires a little more effort. As a result, you should wash with a reliable cleaning solution.
There are several ways to get cleaning materials to wash your rubber mat and keep it shiny. While your choice of cleaning solution may depend on your preference, some cleaning materials are usually more effective than others.
Using Soap And Water
- Mix two tablespoons of dish detergent and a gallon of warm water in a bucket.
- Make sure to stir the mixture until it becomes foamy.
- Dampen your brush in soapy water and scrub the rubber mat to remove build-up dirt.
Using Multipurpose Cleaner
Some messes on your floor mats require a more concentrated solution to clean and protect the mats. A multipurpose cleaner can help remove contaminants such as road salt, mud, and grease from your mat.
- Spray multipurpose cleaner on the mat surface.
- Allow mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub thoroughly with a detailing brush.
Using Vinegar And Water Solution
Vinegar solution cleans better than other floor cleaners and has no negative side effects. It works well for removing tough stains and disinfecting the rubber floor mat.
- Mix equal quantities of warm water and vinegar in a bucket to make a cleaning solution.
- Apply vinegar to the rubber floor mat using a spray bottle.
- Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes on the mat’s surface to cut through any dirt, oil, or grime.
- Scrub the rubber mat with a hard bristle brush to remove any build-up dirt.
- If any stains remain after washing the floor, reapply the cleaning solution and scrub until they are gone.
Using Industrial Cleaner And Degreaser
You can use either product alone. However, If you decide to use both, start with a degreaser and then add an industrial cleaner once the mat looks brighter.
- Apply degreaser to the mat with a spray bottle.
- Allow treatment to sit for 5-10minutes.
- Scrub any mucky dirt from the mat’s surface with a hard bristle brush.
- Repeat the same steps if you decide to use an industrial cleaner.
Additional Tips When Using Cleaning Solutions
- You need to scrub thoroughly to get into all the nooks and crannies. Also, to reach every surface, you may need to brush from different angles.
- When cleaning, avoid using acidic chemicals because they can fade the color of the rubber floor mat or fracture the surface.
Step 4: Rinse And Dry Thoroughly
Complete the cleaning process by rinsing off everything you’ve just scrubbed off the mat.
- Use a pressure hose to rinse off soap and particles from the mat.
- Brush the mat again if stains remain.
- Wipe the mat clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.
- Allow the mat to air dry for a while, or use a drier
Precaution: Heat can cause rubber qualities to degrade; therefore, avoid drying mat in direct sunlight. You can use a hairdryer instead.
Step 5: Restore And Protect
Your rubber mat is now clean and ready to use. However, there’s one more thing. You want to make your mat look darker and fresher. To achieve that, you should slightly apply a floor mat protectant each time you clean your mats.
- Spray the protectant on the mat.
- Allow the protectant to sit for about two minutes
- Leave the mat to air-dry.
The mat’s color should appear deeper and richer, like when it was new.
FAQs On How To Make Rubber Floor Mats Shine
Why do Rubber Floor Mats Fade?
Rubber floor mats are made from natural rubber latex. As they age, the rubber breaks down, causing the surface to lose its gloss and become dull.
To prevent fading, you should wash your rubber floor mats regularly and then apply a coat of wax to seal the color. However, you should consider replacing your rubber floor mat once it starts showing signs of wear.
How Often Should I Clean My Rubber Floor Mat?
Your rubber floor mat should be cleaned every time they get a significant accumulation. This is to prevent mold and bacteria from building up on it due to the moisture trapped underneath.