Soak your hands in ½ a cup of vinegar for a minute then wash with a non abrasive soap. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a towel to have your hands smelling fresh.
- Why It’s Important You Remove Gasoline Smell From Your Hands?
- How To Get Gasoline Smell Off Hands Easily
- Tips To Avoid Gasoline Smell On Your Hands
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why It’s Important You Remove Gasoline Smell From Your Hands?
Gasoline smell on the hands can be very irritating, but that isn’t the only reason to ensure you get rid of the smell. Gasoline contains chemicals like methane and benzene that are very harmful to your health and when you get gasoline on your hands, parts of those chemicals are absorbed into your skin.
The lingering smell is an indication that you still have some gasoline molecules on your skin even though you might not be able to see them. This prolonged contact with your skin can cause inflammation and possibly even rashes or blisters. This can become worse if you have sensitive skin.
The smell of gasoline is very toxic when inhaled for long periods of time. It can cause dizziness, headaches and has been shown to have possible long-term effects on the lungs. The longer the smell is on your hands, the higher the chances of you breathing in those toxic fumes.
How To Get Gasoline Smell Off Hands Easily
Below are six methods you can use to get rid of gasoline smell from your hands and have them restored to their former glory in no time.
Vinegar is an acid that will break down the bonds holding the gas particles together and also neutralize the odor and remove the gasoline smell on your hands.You probably already have this powerful solution in your pantry and can follow the easy steps below
- Pour ½ cup of plain white vinegar into a bowl and soak your hands in it for one minute.
- Wash your hands with a non abrasive soap hand soap and rinse with water.
- Dry your hands with a towel after rinsing.
Lemon Juice/Citrus Fruits
Lemon and citrus fruits like oranges have a very pleasant smell that will remove the bad smell of gasoline from your hands and also leave your hands feeling clean and fresh.
- Squeeze lemon or orange juice into a bowl and mix it with some water.
- Rub the mixture all over your hands and leave it on for a minute.
- Wash your hands with water and hand soap to remove the mixture.
Note: You can repeat the process a few more times if the gasoline smell still lingers after the first try.
Detergent And Salt
If you want to know how to get gasoline smell off your hands with basic kitchen ingredients, then this method is perfect for you.The combined effort of the salt and detergent will break down the bonds of the gas molecules and also remove the odor.
- Set aside 1-2 tablespoons of salt in a bowl.
- Apply a small amount of dish detergent all over the hands.
- Pour the salt into your hands and firmly scrub the mixture all over the palms and fingers for about a minute.
- Rinse your hands with water to make sure the smell is gone.
Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda is the ultimate multipurpose household product and one of its many functions is the ability to remove rancid odors like that of gasoline by following the steps below.
- Mix 3 parts water with 1 part baking soda to create the paste.
- Apply the paste to your hands and rub your hands for a minute.
- Rinse off the paste with water and dry your hands with a towel.
Hydrogen peroxide has great cleaning and disinfecting properties and can be used to remove the smell of gasoline from the hands. This method requires you to make a solution with water and hydrogen peroxide using the following steps.
- Mix 3 parts water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
- Soak your hands in the mixture for a few minutes to avoid damaging your skin.
- Rinse your hands with water and dry off with a towel.
With its irresistible scent and dark hue, vanilla extract is an amazing solution to remove the stench of gasoline. It will mask the gasoline odor until it eventually evaporates and will also leave your hands smelling luscious.
- Add a few drops of vanilla extract into a bowl of water.
- Soak your hands in the mixture for a few minutes and rub your hands together.
- Finally, wash your hands with soap and warm water.
Tips To Avoid Gasoline Smell On Your Hands
- Wear gloves: Whenever you’re handling gasoline or pumping gas into your car, wear gloves to protect your hands. Latex or nitrile gloves are the best options to use because they won’t absorb the gasoline and will prevent any lingering smell on your hands.
- Wash instantly: Wash your hands as soon as your skin comes in contact with gasoline. Leaving it on for long will cause the skin to absorb more of it and develop the infamous smell.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Gasoline Smell Linger?
Gasoline is made with an added chemical that gives it a very strong scent. When the skin or clothes come in contact with gasoline, this scent is quickly absorbed and leaves gas particles that are slow to evaporate.
How Long Does Gasoline Smell Last On The Skin?
When left alone and not properly washed off, the gasoline smell on the skin can last for over 24 hours because it takes a long time for the smell to evaporate. The slow rate of evaporation of the gas is the reason why the smell seems to last a long time
Is Gasoline Smell Harmful?
Yes, the fumes from gasoline can give you headaches, nausea, dizziness, and vision loss, and have been linked to cancer in some studies.