Yes, Lodge silicone handles can go in the oven as long as the temperature is below 350 ° F. If you leave them inside the oven for too long, they will get hot and you will notice a change in their texture over time.
When you take a hot pan out of the oven, it is very likely that your hands will get burnt. To keep your hands safe and protected, you need silicone handles. Silicone handle covers are a useful and innovative kitchen accessory that keeps you safe as you cook your favorite meals.
Why Go for Silicone Handles
Silicone is a hardy material that can withstand cold and heat up to certain temperatures. It is inert and non-stick. Moreover, silicone doesn’t leech as well which makes it a better choice as compared to aluminum and plastic handles.
Silicone has low thermal conductivity. Therefore, it transfers heat slowly which makes it ideal for use as handles for oven-safe cookware. Removable handle covers are available in varying shapes and sizes in the market.
They are amazing insulating kitchen accessories that work as pot holders as you place and remove hot dishes from the oven. You can use one handle cover for multiple cookware in your home.
Pure silicone lasts for quite a long time. However, manufacturers do add some fillers to lower the manufacturing costs. It is better that you buy silicone handles from trusted brands for better durability and longer shelf life.
Let’s see what the benefits and limitations of silicone handles are and how you can use them safely.
Benefits of Lodge Silicone Handles
- The silicone handles don’t rust.
- Silicone handles are FDA approved as they don’t release any harmful fumes and don’t react with any material as well.
- Since silicone is lightweight, it reduces the overall weight of the cookware.
- As compared to regular insulated handles, you can put the silicone handles in the oven without worrying about damage to the handles as long as you keep the temperature below the maximum limit.
- When you are emptying the food into a serving dish from the hot pan, you can do so comfortably due to the silicone handle.
- Silicone handles are dishwasher-safe. Moreover, they are easier to maintain than traditional handles.
- The silicone handle covers are available in a variety of different colors. Even after multiple washes and uses, they will still retain their shiny new appearance.
- You can use the same silicone handle cover on multiple pans and skillets.
Limitations of Silicone Handles
- Thin handle covers do not offer sufficient protection from the heat in the oven, particularly if the pan is very hot or if you have a very strong grip on the handle. You will need additional protection if you are going to hold the handle for a long time. On the other hand, if you get a thick silicone handle cover, the skillet is likely to tip over.
- You need to find the right size when it comes to silicone handle covers. Otherwise, it will be difficult for you to slide the cover on the skillet. Moreover, the handle will also move around inside the cover when you pick the pan up.
- You can’t use silicone handles over a direct flame as it starts to melt over an open fire. Strictly keep pans with silicone handles for use in the oven.
- Silicone is not biodegradable. Since it can’t be recycled, it is not an eco-friendly choice.
- Low-quality silicone handles tend to smell during cooking. Moreover, they become discolored over the passage of time.
Things to Do to Stay Safe When Using Lodge Silicone Handle
Silicone handles are pretty useful and handy kitchen accessories. They keep you safe and protected as you cook delicious, scrumptious meals.
However, there are a few things you need to check before using silicone handles.
- Keep an Eye on the Medical Grade
It is essential that you check the medical-grade when you purchase silicone cookware. This will ensure that you are getting silicone handles that are as close to 100% silicone as possible and contain next to no chemical fillers.
- Stay Away from Chemical Fillers
Your silicone handle shouldn’t have chemicals in it. A pure silicone product doesn’t change its color at all. An easy way to test if the silicone has chemicals in it is to pinch the surface. If you see white color as you squeeze the product, then a chemical filler is present.
- Wash Before Every Use
This is basically a no-brainer. Ensure that you pre-clean the silicone handles every time you use them. This decreases the chances of harmful substances getting inside your food.
- Stay Below the Recommended Temperature Limit
There is no melting point of silicone. When it is used at higher temperatures, it becomes brittle. At 450 degrees Fahrenheit, it automatically combusts. Check the maximum temperature limit that your lodge silicone handles can withstand.
Then ensure that you follow this limit and don’t exceed it.
How to Use Silicone Handles Inside the Oven Safely
Now that you know the various benefits of silicone handles, it is time to learn how to use them safely inside your oven.
- Check for the oven-safe mark on the handle. If you can’t find the mark, then check the manufacturer’s booklet to prevent any unforeseen incident.
- Most silicone handles are safe for use inside the oven at 450 ° F. If you need to use silicone hands at a temperature higher than that, then you need to follow the given steps.
- Take two paper towels.
- Sprinkle a lot of water on them.
- Wrap the silicone handle in the wet paper towel.
- Take out two sheets of aluminum foil.
- Wrap the foil over the paper towels. You will be able to cook safely for 30 minutes in the oven now.
FAQs for Can Lodge Silicone Handles Go in the Oven
What is the maximum temperature that silicone handles can withstand?
Silicone is capable of withstanding heat up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure that you don’t exceed this temperature limit when using lodge silicone handles with your skillets and pans.
Which pans do silicone handle covers work the best for?
Silicone handles work the best for cast iron skillets since these pans tend to retain and absorb heat. Moreover, these pans are heavy & will stay stable after you put on the silicone handle cover.